Here’s a writing exercise for you. Write five great first sentences, beginning right in the middle of the action. They can be all for your current novel, or they can be ideas for future novels. If anything, it’ll get you thinking.
Here are mine:
- The school had never closed for any reason, other than weather, but today was different.
- The old rocking chair that had been sitting in Old Jim’s yard for thirty years was missing.
- The smell was enough to stop him in his tracks.
- For days on end, there had been nothing to eat but soup.
- Kaitlyn’s heart was racing as she walked up to the little blue house and rang the doorbell.
Feel free to post your first sentence ideas in comments. I’d love to read them!